Sunday, August 08, 2004

Really, this could go anywhere...

This is my 200th post. Woo.

Our weekend wasn't much to speak of really. Donald went to day shift today.(5a.m.-4p.m.) So that means no church for the next 4 weeks. Our church has discipleship training on Sunday nights and youth group but no evening worship (odd to me...) and they do classes for discipleship training but nothing for kids...no classes, nothing other than nursery. So that kind of makes it pointless for us to attempt evening worship. We have been here since November and have visited church after church...I'm happy with many aspects of this one, and it seems to be ''the best of what we have to choose from'' KWIM?

Does every actor/actress that is on Disney channel, also sing? I don't think that is a bad thing...it's just something that I have observed. Every show or movie has various other Disney channel folks singing. Along that thought Chelsea from Raven sings a song that goes along with the Disney movie "Stuck in the Suburbs". They play the video for the song inbetween shows. Anyway, everytime I hear the song I think "wow, she sounds a lot like Rebecca St. James"

I'm really at a thinking point concerning grace and mercy. See I know God's gift of salvation to us was free. It is a gift, it is unmerited and nothing we do would ever make us worthy of that awesome thing. I also know that we are all at different points in our walk with Christ. I know that some have convictions that are deeper than others. I know that some take liberties that I couldn't take. I don't think we all have to be cookie cutters in order to be imitators of Christ. But shouldn't there be some differences??? I began thinking about this when I was watching tv recently. A self professed Christian is on this show. We're not talking about a ''babe in Christ'' this person has talked of their life that has been based on faith. And yet this person was using profanity, drinking, acting provocatively and wearing clothes that drew attention to the body God gave them. I know that some Christians take no issue with drinking in moderation. I don't and I'm ok with that other people do. I'm thinking Jesus probably drank real wine, so I'm not going to debate the ''rightness'' or ''wrongness' of drinking in moderation. For me it was the combination of all of those things. I mean and please comment (with kindness) and explain to me how the Jesus can have established residence in your heart and you can flippantly and with regularity talk the vocabulary of the world, dress in such a way that is completely and totally immodest. [let me say here, I am all about being cute, wearing fun/funky/trendy/whatever clothes. I'm not a prude. But there is some clear scriptural admonishing how we choose to dress and our responsibility in causing others to stumble. Could a man see you in a tunic and lust...well, yeah sure...but it's not because you are wearing skin tight short shorts and a tube top with no bra...see the difference???] How can you continually act that way, and still hold fast to having a active walk? See that sounds like judgment doesn't it? I don't mean to judge, I'm just really confused. I mean I don't think we have to open each conversation with scripture, I don't think we have to wear WWJD tee shirts and culottes. But I do think that there should be some distinction between believers and unbelievers and to *me* that distinction seems to be getting blurrier and blurrier.

Shouldn't I have my ''style'' established by now? I'm 30 for crying out loud. Shouldn't I know if I want to be classically stylish. Or trendy/funky
[I can so see that with a denim jacket and some cute shoes...] And really should I still enjoy going to Claire's for funky accessories? But honestly I haven't. I have this very adult voice in my head that tells me that I'm 30, I'm a mom and I need to wear 'mom clothes' [please please please, don't misread that, never never never will you mistake me for a teenager in my teeny bopper clothes. I'm all about dressing my age. I wouldn't go there, that is not the look or desire.] But I do like cute tees, funky purses, and hair do dads lol]But while that adult voice is hollering "eddie bauer'' the wanna be cool girl (ROTFLOL) voice hollers ''ok fine, but at least get a cute purse to go with the khaki pants'' And so there I am. I'm the khaki pants with the snow white shirt and denim jacket mom with the cute purse. Is that a bad thing?

Tomorrow begins no TV day here in the B household. We are working toward school starting at the end of the month.

Do you realize the Olympics are coming? I LOVE the Olympics. And yes I like synchronized swimming and gymnastics. But I also like diving and various non 'girlie'' events. ;)

This weekend was ''tax free shopping'' in Texas. I didn't' realize this and made the mistake of going to Target. Help my soul, all I needed was diapers, tons. of. people.

Ending this with the words to the choruses we sang tonight before the boys went to bed...

When I pray
Soft and Low
When I pray
This I know
God will always hear
God will always hear



There is sunshine in my soul today,
More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my Light.

O there's sunshine, blessed sunshine,
When the peaceful, happy moments roll;
When Jesus shows His smiling face,
There is sunshine in my soul.



3 comments:

Holly said...

"I don't think we have to wear WWJD tee shirts and culottes"

That made me LOL!!

I don't want to judge, but I have a hard time believing that they are really even Christians. Yes, they could repent for what they are saying or doing (acting as a stumbling block for others), but to repent means to turn from the wrong and not go back....

Just my .02

Brandy said...

You mean I won't have all the answers in another year and a half? I was counting on knowing it all by the time I was 30. ;) It does sound to me, though, that you've got a handle on what you like, so just go with it.

I have the same confusion as you when I see people who profess Christ but don't seem to have gone through any changes in themselves.

And yes, the Disney stars do seem to all sing. A few of them have songs on the Princess Diaries 2 soundtrack as well. I don't have kids on whom to blame the Disney channel watching, so I won't say any more on that topic. ;)

Stephanie said...

I can sympathize with your struggle that you wrote about here - calling oneself a Christian and acting/dressing/speaking as the world. Working with the youth at my church has opened my eyes and given me a burden to teach girls how to be modest in the 21st century when it's next to impossible! Stacy has a good point about keeping our focus on Jesus which I agree with. And, as a Mom as a little girl, I am especially more and more aware of my role as a model for her of Biblical purity - in what I wear, what I watch, how I speak, etc. God has given me and my husband the responsibility to teach her about Biblical purity - heavy stuff!