So we're home from church. We didn't get out till 12:15 it takes us about 30 mins with traffic and Donald had to get dressed for work and leave again within 10 mins to go back to Brownsville. It's just felt really rushed today...it always does when he's on swings. I fed the boys lunch and now they are having a popsicle and then it will be quiet time.
Ok so those of you who attend church. More specifically those that let your kids go to children's church, what actually goes on there? See I've been the children's church director at two separate churches. In my experience I always always always presented a bible story. Yes, we did fun songs. Sometimes we'd have a craft. It was fun and silly and goofy. But when it came time for storytime/bible time. I tried to really make that time special. Hopefully instilling in the kids that portion of the service was different. Anyway, we went to a small church in Georgia so my kids have never been to children church. We moved here, and found this church (which we really like) and they offer it, so I've been sending the boys. Today though I ended up having to take Elijah out into the foyer. Well from the foyer (it's more than a foyer, there are bathrooms water fountains, places to sit, it's fairly big) I can see out into the courtyard...where my kids are playing red rover red rover. This is 10 or 15 mins into the service. They stayed out the whole time. When I asked the boys what their lesson was about they couldn't remember. But they did tell me about them playing musical chairs. (Which was filled with a story about ''some 'mean' boy that pushed Daniel out of a chair, and why do they let mean kids come to children's church mom?'') I wasn't there for that and so I don't know how it all played out. Daniel was not hurt physically, and we all know the playground of life can be one of the toughest places in the world. Anyway, I'm just really feeling put out about the children's church situation. I don't think they have to be quoting whole memorized books of the bible. I don't think they have to have the kids surrendering to full time Christian service as a result of children's church. But Red Rover and musical chairs for what pretty much encompassed the whole service? Come on? Am I crazy to think there should be some semblance of a regular church service so that we are prepping these kids for big church? As it stands they won't be going back next week. I mean they can sit in our service, they always sat with us in Georgia. I just thought children's church might be something fun and on their level for worship. So far it seems to be shaping up only to be fun.
In other news. Donald picked up Diet Rite Tangerine this morning. And I am happy to announce it is almost exactly like what I imagine a diet Mt. Dew LiveWire would taste like. YUM
Hope yall are having a great Sunday afternoon. I'm hoping to sneak in a nap. :)
Sunday, August 01, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Our Church is so small we don't have a children's church right now. When I do have to take my two year old out, I make it a point that it is not play time. I am bad during Sunday School, however, I do let him play while I do our lesson with my 5 year old. So I don't have any answers for you.
You sound right on target about Children's Church to me. Our church has one (we call it "Discovery Club") and have always emphasized that it's the worship service at kid-level. We're just transitioning between two Children's Church coordinators and they both take it very seriously, praise God, and don't view it as group babysitting. The woman who was our Coordinator (and just moved out of state which is why she's not doing it anymore), said that she used to get so frustrated when she was in Disc. Club week after week and didn't get to be in the adult worship service. Then God totally changed her perspective about how she was able to meet Him right where she was serving with the little kids and it totally changed her attitude and heart about it, and her impact on our kids at church was incredibly visible! Neat stuff!
As a former children's pastor, I just had to comment! No, they shouldn't be outside playing red rover during the whole service time. My services were always set up as a "mini" service.. We had opening announcements, praise and worship, prayer request, offering, puppet skit, sermon, closing prayer. If we had time after all of that (never did), then we would do something else like a craft or something. I wanted to help the kids make a smooth transition into being in the adult services. The kids always loved it!
If I were you, I would talk to the children's church director/pastor and ask what their goals are for Sunday AM Children's Church and volunteer your services (if you can).
I'm way late on this...but, at our church, children's church always incorporates a Bible story. It's not specifically a "mini service" it's more like a second Sunday school class. They start with prayer, then sing songs, do the story, have a snack, and then do a craft based on the Bible story.
And I too love diet Rite tangerine! :)
Post a Comment