Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Organization 101

Homework this week:

Think of the person keeping the cleanest, most organized house you know. How do they do it? What differs from their routine to yours? Do you think you could ever match them?

(If the person in mind is you, what do you think makes you different from the rest of us? Is it something that comes naturally, or do you work at it?)


Honestly, what comes to mind is stress. I have a few friends that are very type A, their homes are most always meticulously clean and if it isn't it really really really bothers them. When we were first married and had no children, I had a spotless house by default. I stayed home all day (um, and what exactly did I do with my time???) I washed my walls regularly...yes I did. I kept everything exactly as it should be, but it was more out of desire than instinct or personality. Know what I mean? See, I'm not type A at all. I don't think like that, but I don't like clutter. So I'm not naturally a sloppy person either. There are parts of FlyLady that really describe me...I do tend to have perfectionist tendencies, but don't tend to walk them out regularly. Like my house is never out of control, dishes piled up to the counter tops, loads of laundry to be done, the floors haven't been mopped in 3 weeks. But I have no real ''plan'' or lifestyle that gets those things done, on a schedule. It happens, and the house pretty much is always within a ten minute tidy of company ready. But that's where Flylady has helped me, it's helped me to organize myself into a more scheduled person. Athena was talking in her journal the other day about how their house falls apart on the weekends...that her schedule just goes out the window. I could really identify with that. Because on Donald's off days that is us. So I guess what my real struggle is, is consistency. So my goal is to be more schedule oriented without become ruled by it, or over obsessed about things a long the way.

No comments: