Have you ever noticed when something becomes important in someone's life they have a way of interjecting it into your life too? Now, that isn't always a bad thing, nor something they shouldn't do necessarily. It's just the assumption that because it effects them, then of course it effects you the same way. This can go from minute to major. From counting carbs to religious conviction. I think we all have the tendency within us to do this, maybe? The only thing, is when the assumption becomes a judgment. "Well I know how I can get in that area, and it's just a dead end for me'' [Which naturally implies that if it is a dead end for them, a no way out, a sin zone, an area of lack of judgment and self control, then there is no way you could do that particular thing without it also being the same thing, with the same implications for you. I think we want everyone to be in neat little boxes. If you think like me on points a, b and c, then how can we be on different such levels of understanding on point d? And the difference is what brings out the defensiveness or insecurity. Granted no two people tend to have the exact same ideas on every given point, but there is a security in knowing you have commonality in most all things. And the thing is we are all at different points and places. What is new and enlightening to me currently may be old revelation to you. And to be so involved in my stuff, to be so blinded to the fact that, hey maybe you have already dealt with this and worked it through and you are truly ok with it and where you need to be regarding it. Well that pulls in pride. To think that I could have some big, deep, earth moving things going on and that you, you could have gotten a grasp on them before me??? That makes my world a very small place, a place where I shut out those that think differently, a place where I don't allow room for any error or a different path to the same end result. I make myself, most important and the one by whom to judge all others actions and relationships. I make myself right in my own eyes,the better carb counter, the better bible reader, the more enlightened educator, the more compassionate friend, the more righteous church goer and I stand alone. I stand alone and lonely.
What if I stumble, what if I fall?
What if I lose my step and I make fools of us all?
Will the love continue when my walk becomes a crawl?
What if I stumble, and what if I fall? d.c. talk
[nothing cryptic, just general observations of things I've been seeing and reading]
Monday, July 05, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Cheri! I wanted to say HELLO! And all that fun stuff! Its been a while since we chatted lately! Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was good to hear from ya!!
Keep in touch!
Hugs,
Jenn
I hear what you are saying and I'm afraid I have been guilty of this way TOO many times. When I have enough time to sit back and really think about issues I realize that God often calls each of us down different paths, to do things differently for His own reasons.
I don't understand why everyone doesn't think & agreee with everything I do. ;o) LOL! I can't think of ONE person who agrees with me on everything. But I can take comfort in the fact that I am following God's will for my life and they are following God's will for their life.
Sometimes I think that God has us do things differently just to see if we will follow Him and not our peers, friends or family.
~Alicia
Post a Comment