Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Homework

Yesterday I heard somebody advising someone else to use Tang beverage crystals in their dishwasher a few times a year to get rid of buildup. What's the weirdest household tip you've ever heard? Did it work, or was it like the "Tang tip," which I subsequently learned will merely dye the interior of a dishwasher orange?

Um, I don't know if this qualifies for 'weird' but I ran out of Tide one day in the middle of a huge amount of laundry. I sent out an SOS to a list of ladies I'm on and someone recommended one or two tablespoons of dishwashing detergent. It worked just fine. And I have done it on occasion since if I found myself low on Tide. I've heard of running vinegar through both your washer and dishwasher to get rid of build up. I've never done it in the dishwasher though. :)


OH and here's the recipe for the Pumpkin Caramel Shortbread that I made last night. All I can say is YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY

Pumpkin Caramel Shortbread

2/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter


In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3 cup butter, 1/4 cup white sugar, and 1 1/4 cup flour until evenly crumbly. Press into 9" square baking pan.

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk


In a 2 quart saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over crust. Cool until it begins to firm


From here I took the can of pumpkin and mixed it into a pie form...(you know eggs/milk/spices) and poured this over the shortbread and caramel and baked @ 375* for 50 mins till the knife came out clean. :)

Originally the caramel shortbread recipe the shortbread was baked for 20 mins and then topped with the caramel. But it would over cook if you did that after adding the pumpkin and cooking for an additional 50 mins.



No comments: