Oh today has been one of those parenting days.
We went to the zoo this morning. That was fun. It was only about 91 when we got there at 10:00 and so the animals were out and eating their breakfast. We got home a bit after lunch and Donald went to bed. (after having stayed up all night, so that he will be on schedule...since he's working nights)
Elijah napped coming home from the zoo. So when the boys went down for quiet time at 2:00 he was still full of vim and vigor from his earlier snooze. It's now 7:00 and he has been *on* all day. You would think that by child number three that nothing is really a big deal. You've dealt with the first time momma overdoing it phase. You had that second baby and mellowed a bit more. So by the third you've usually dealt with (of course not all, but a lot of) temper tantrums, only wanting to eat popcorn, the fun of potty training and night terrors. You've cornered that time when the toddler dances with the preschooler. That need to be independent but to also want to know that you are hovering in the wings, should they need you to pick them up when they fall. You've found creative solutions to getting them to take medicines. You managed to wash their hair with soap even, before they have an opportunity to protest. You've negotiated bedtimes and learned that while a schedule is nice, sometimes really
it's ok to go against every parenting books advise and just kinda do what YOU feel like you want to do.
So yeah, when your third child comes along you are cocky. You don't need to read ''What to Expect the Toddler Years'' cause more than likely you are already parenting a toddler. You are passed having to buy every gadget (be it fun or educational) cause really you know that your house has enough toys to rival ToysRus and enough books to compete with the library. (although really, in our humble opinion here at Brorsen Inc. you can never have too many books) You let them watch TV, and while no you don't let them veg all day, you've realized that sometimes really a little Pooh goes along way towards getting the kitchen swept.
So imagine my surprise when number three is pulling tricks. Does he know he's not allowed? Does he realize he's the baby, he is supposed to be the easy one?
Elijah for the last two days has taken great delight in turing the TV off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on (and well, really I could type this forever and maybe you'd get the jist of how big this battle seems to me) upon being redirected for that offense he heads to the computer where he turns the monitor on. IF the monitor is on then he goes for the tower. Again, more redirection. A firm NO. And what do I get a 20 month old that looks at him points and says "nooooooooooooooooooo" only to rinse and repeat all.day.long. Add to that mix aforementioned toddler deciding that there is no greater joy than hearing the shriek of his brothers when he attempts to throw hotwheels cars at them. So yeah, he's doing that too. THROWING HOTWHEELS CARS. Really at this point I'm just tired of redirecting, tired of saying ''no, no''. I'm just looking for 7:30 (7 mins away for those counting) so I can put him in the shower and then to bed.
I know, I know, I'll look back on all this one day and laugh. I'll miss these times of mischief and would delight to have just a bit of it to fill my days. I know that and really I do try to remember that. BUT on days like today, on days when I think I'm getting into this parenting groove and coasting on the downhill only to WHAM hit that hill, that has presented itself in the form of my third born. I think, I'm too tired to deal with this today. [all.day.long]
Add to this my older two seem to have no realization that they have an inside voice, much less how to use it.
Momma's got a headache and upon Poppa Bears decent from his cave in a bit, I'm out for coffee and chocolate...cause really in the words of Anne (of Anne of Green Gables) "Tomorrow is a brand new day, with no mistakes in it''
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment