Monday, March 29, 2004

Do I Remember

1. When John F. Kennedy was shot (Nov. 22, 1963)

****no, I was just about 9 years and 7 months away from being born.

2. When Mt. St. Helens blew (May 18, 1980)

****I was 6, so in the first grade...I want to say I remember television coverage...but then again that could just be I've seen coverage since then and catagorize it as remembering it...KWIM?

3. When the space shuttle Challenger exploded (January 28, 1986)

****Yes, 7th grade was home from school for some reason...maybe sick? There was a funeral at the church (my dad is a pastor, we lived next door to the church) I had walked to the fellowship all for some reason and when I cam back to the house I walked in, in time to see it happen. :(

4. When the 7.1 earthquake hit San Francisco (July 10, 1989)

****Yes, I'm pretty sure we were watching the San Fransico Giants play a baseball game when it happened.


5. When the Berlin Wall fell (July 11, 1989)

****I *should* remember this, really I should. I do know it happened...I know that my cousins has a part of it (his dad order it...who knows if its real?) but I don't have a working knowledge of any of the news or such surrounding it happening.

6. When the Gulf War began (January 16, 1991)

****YES, driving down I20 headed to church Wednesday evening when the first planes started I remember listening to it on the radio as I was driving. I was a senior in high school.

7. When OJ Simpson was chased in his White Bronco (June 17, 1994)

****LOL yep I was at our singles bible study and we all collectively watched it and had various conversations surrounding it. LOL


8. When the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed (April 19, 1995)

****Yes. It was the day Donald and I got engaged also.


9. When Princess Di was killed (August 31, 1997)

****Yes, I had just finished watching a movie (michelle phiffer and Robert Redford(?) journalist, it's a love story-ish type movie...anyway, it ended on a sad note (can't say that I remember now what happened) but I remember she or he was covering news in Panama (Donald had just returned from Panama in Sept '96 and was currently in Bosnia) so I was all weepy and crying...I turned off the tv to see that is had just happend...I ended up watching CNN forever and crying still. LOL I taped the funeral (in case Donald wanted to watch it when he got him...lol, he did not) I also either had just bought or later went out and bought some new plants and ended up naming my ivy, Diana (yeah, yeah, I name EVERYTHING, what of it....)

10. When Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold opened fire on their classmates at Columbine High School (April 20, 1999)

****I do remember this, and I remember crying more so because I was holding my 7 month old first born, thinking ''what is going on in this world....what have we brought you into''

11. When Bush was first announced President (November 7, 2000)

****LOL Which time. ...I pretty much watched FOX News all during the whole election and so heard him announced, Gore announced, both retracted and then watched the whole chads dealio too. :)

12. When the 6.8 earthquake hit Nisqually, WA (February 28, 2001)

****Absolutely no recollection of this

13. When terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center (September 11, 2001)

****Of course. It was Nathan's 3rd birthday. Donald was working 3rd shift so when he got home from work that a.m. he brought Nathan a moon pie (Nathan called them mooncakes and loved them at that time) upstairs with three candles and sang happy birthday. We came down and naturally turned on Fox news and saw the second plane hit. I cried and cried that day and for several days after that...and am crying now thinking of it. That was such a dark dark sad day. After the inital showing we of course ushered the boys to the playroom and didn't allow them to watch it. I remember Nathan asking what happened and I told him ''some people were very angry and didn't use their words...and they hurt a lot of people and lots of people were sad'' He asked if he could say a prayer and said "dear Lord, please help those people who hurt their heads, amen'' I can only assume when the saw the second tower fall he thought of the people inside getting hit.

No comments: